Tuesday, November 1, 2011

HOME MADE MACAROONS RECIPE

We had a potluck at work for someone who was moving to Hawaii last summer (lucky duck).  My co-worker Amy made these addicting desserts. She was nice enough to give me her recipe and even though she said it was super easy I didn't believe it until I tried it myself. The husby and I LOVE macaroons! Here's what you need...

1/3 c. sugar
1 egg white
pinch of salt
vanilla & almond extract
1 c coconut (use a 50/50 mix of flaked and shredded)
Slivered almonds
Whisk egg & sugar till blended. Add remaining ingredients.
Place mixture in drops on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
 Bake @350 for about 13-15 minutes or until golden brown.
I used a cookie scooper and pressed them down with my fingers to flatten them a bit. If they're too thick, the inside can be too soft for my taste. 
I also double the recipe every time I make them since the recipe given makes a pretty small batch. We like leftovers around here. :D 
My husby likes things well done and since I like them crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside I add 2-3 more minutes on the baking time. Do what suits your liking. 

Just melt some semi-sweet chocolate chips (I added a piece of dark chocolate) double boiler style and drizzle over right out of the oven
A trick to making the chocolate look pretty: cut the corner of a Ziploc bag and scoop the chocolate inside and use it like a cake decorating bag. I suggest using an oven mitt since the chocolate is hot and can burn your hands. 
I always enjoy baking but especially in the Fall and Winter months. What are some of your favorite homemade baked treats? Please share your recipes!

Happy Fall
XOXO, 
Mrs. Middleton